As your dentist in South Florida, Dr. Joe Thomas happily treats patients of all ages. When properly taken care of, your teeth can last for thousands of years. But as you age, you should take note that there are different areas of concern regarding your dental health.
As you age, you may notice that you’re taking more medications each year to keep your body in good health. You might also notice you’re getting more cavities, despite going years without developing any. This is not a coincidence. A common side effect of many medications is a dry mouth, which increases your chances of developing cavities. Should you experience this problem, try some of these tips from the ADA:
- Use over-the-counter oral moisturizes like spray or mouthwash.
- Consult with your doctor about the medication, dosage, and its side effects.
- Suck on ice chips. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to hydrate your mouth.
- Use a humidifier to keep the air in your home moist.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, carbonated soft drinks, and acidic fruit juice, which are all known to contribute to dry mouth.
- Talk with Dr. Joe Thomas about how fluoride varnish sealants can prevent and protect you from developing tooth and root decay.
Contact the friendly staff here at Dr. Joe Thomas Dentistry today to schedule an appointment and get all the answers to your questions regarding your dental health. We look forward to serving as your dentist in South Florida.