Do you have halitosis (bad breath)? Some people have bad breath and don’t even realize it! There are several common causes of bad breath, some which you can help yourself! The following are the five top causes of chronic bad breath:
- Your mouth is a breeding ground for bacteria, from between your teeth to all over your tongue, they multiply and give off a foul smell.
- If you still have your tonsils, they have deep holes known as crypts, which can collect substances and hold on to foul odors.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco not only tastes strong, but smells strong too.
- Strong foods like onion and garlic have the ability to negatively impact the smell of your breath for an entire day.
- If you’ve been avoiding pungent foods and brushing and flossing regularly but still have problems with bad breath, you may be experiencing gastrointestinal issues like GERD or an ulcer.
Check back to our blog soon for at-home solutions for bad breath. In the meantime, should you have any questions about your dental health, don’t hesitate to contact your Fort Lauderdale dentist here at Dr. Joe Thomas Dentistry.